For dancers in L.A, this Saturday, November 11, might as well be a holiday. The Dance Resource Center, a service organization for the region's dance community, is hosting its third annual Day of Dancer Health. The best part? All events are free. Here's a sampling of what's on tap:
- Workshops on qigong, finding affordable health insurance, eating mindfully and navigating changes throughout your artistic life.
- Health screenings. Meet with medical specialists and physical therapists for the Dance/USA Task Force on Dancer Health's preventive physical health screening, measuring your aerobic capacity, height and weight, hip rotation and flexibility. You'll receive a specialized assessment, along with referrals to professionals in the area.
- The Health Cafe. Sample snacks geared toward on-the-go dancers, such as yogurts, juices and bars.
- Insurance counseling. Open enrollment is currently in effect, so representatives from The Actors Fund will be on hand to help you explore your health-care options under the Affordable Care Act through Covered California.
- Freebies you'll actually use like Thera-Bands and water bottles.
- Information tables manned with experts in a variety of topics relating to dancer health, like nutrition, emotional well-being, financial guidance and sexual health.