11 of Our Favorite Merce Cunningham Photos from Our Archives
Today—April 16, 2019—marks what would have been Merce Cunningham's 100th birthday. As dancers from Los Angeles to New York City to London gear up for Night of 100 Solos (the marathon performance event being livestreamed today), and as companies and presenters worldwide continue to celebrate the Cunningham Centennial through their programming, we searched through the Dance Magazine Archives to unearth our favorite images of the groundbreaking dancemaker.
- How to Live-Stream Merce Cunningham's Night of 100 Solos ›
- How the Merce Cunningham Centennial is Being Celebrated ... ›
- Merce Cunningham at 100: 75 dancers perform 300 solos in three ... ›
- Night of 100 Solos: A Centennial Event | Barbican ›
- BAM | Night of 100 Solos: A Centennial Event ›
- Center for the Art of Performance at UCLA Night of 100 Solos: A ... ›
- Centennial - Merce Cunningham Trust ›
- A 100-Dance Merce Cunningham Celebration Is Coming to BAM ... ›
- Night of 100 Solos - Merce Cunningham Trust ›
- Remembering Choreographer And Dancer Merce Cunningham : NPR ›
- Merce Cunningham Celebration | The Joyce Theater ›
- Learning to Dance Merce Cunningham: Risk in Calm Containers ... ›
- Merce Cunningham Trust: Home ›
The 2019–20 season is here, and with it more performances than any one person could reasonably catch. But fear not: We polled our writers and editors and selected the 31 most promising tickets, adding up to one endlessly intriguing year of dance.
You nominated your favorite dance moments so far in 2019, and we narrowed them down to this list. Now it's time to cast your vote to help decide who will be deemed our Readers' Choice picks for the year!
Voting is open until September 17th. Only one vote per person will be counted.
Just four years ago, the University of Southern California's Glorya Kaufman School of Dance welcomed its first class of BFA students. The program—which boasts world-class faculty and a revolutionary approach to training focused on collaboration and hybridity—immediately established itself as one of the country's most prestigious and most innovative.
Now, the first graduating class is entering the dance field. Here, six of the 33 graduates share what they're doing post-grad, what made their experience at USC Kaufman so meaningful and how it prepared them for their next steps:
We've been dying to hear more about "On Pointe," a docuseries following students at the School of American Ballet, since we first got wind of the project this spring. Now—finally!—we know where this can't-miss show is going to live: It was just announced that Disney+, the new streaming service set to launch November 12, has ordered the series.