We've been a fan of the space bun look since our Spice Girls days, which is exactly why we were so excited when hair and makeup artist Angela Huff brought the double-bun style back for our January cover shoot with American Ballet Theatre's Erica Lall. To give the '90s style a modern twist, Huff added a few braided details. Here's how to copy the look for your next class:
1) Start by prepping your hair so that it has enough texture to hold a braid. On Lall's naturally curly hair, Huff created the style without any products. "Wavy, curly hair wants to be braided and will hold the shape well," Huff explains. "On straight hair, you'll want to put something to give it more hold." To add grip to fine hair, spray a texturizer like Garnier Fructis Texture Tease Spray throughout your hair first.
2) Create a center part and divide your hair into two equal sections (Huff left Lall's part slightly off-center at the front). Clip away one section so that it's out of your way, and divide the side you're working with into a front and back section.
3) French braid the back section and clip into place while working with the front section. For fine hair, add more hold by applying a wax to your fingertips like Fatboy Tough Guy Water Wax before you begin braiding.
4) For the front braid that sits at the top of your head, flip the direction of your braid to create a cornrow.
5) Join both braids, twisting them together into a bun and pinning the hair into place.
6) Repeat on the other side, and finish with a hairspray like R+Co Outer Space Flexible Hold Hairspray.