These Dance Stars' End-of-Summer Vacation Photos are Giving Us Serious FOMO
We'll admit it: As excited as we are for fall performance season to start, we are in deep, deep denial that the end of summer is in sight. And we're also experiencing some serious FOMO looking at the vacation photos flooding our Instagram feeds from some of our favorite dancers and choreographers. So where in the world do they go to unwind before gifting us with yet another season of incredible dance?
Maria Kowroski showing her inner Anglophile
"Downton Abbey," anyone? New York City Ballet's senior ballerina visited Highclere Castle in Hampshire, England (and showcased her boss arabesque).
Christopher Wheeldon giving us Romeo & Juliet realness in Italy
Christopher Wheeldon and his husband have been on holiday around Italy and Greece, and this shot gives us all the feels.
Gillian Murphy (and Ethan Stiefel) hiking like proper ballet dancers
They're having way too much fun with this.
Sara Mearns serving up perfect beach vibes
Because after spending almost all of your time in the studio, who doesn't need a beach day? #beachgoals
Drew Jacoby exploring Iceland (and leaving us breathless)
The landscapes currently dominating Drew Jacoby's Instagram can almost rival her dance shots for breathtaking beauty.
Lydia Wellington hiking in Greece with some fellow NYCB gals
There's some serious girl power on this hike: NYCB's Lydia Wellington, Miriam Miller, Claire Von Enck and Laine Habony.
Isabella Boylston hanging out in sunny Barcelona
And she's rocking a pretty fabulous outfit, too!
Tiler Peck chilling—on a boat!
We're not sure where the NYCB star is headed, but it looks heavenly to us!
- Tiler Peck Says This Hulu Documentary Shows Her Most Exhausted ... ›
- Isabella Boylston and James Whiteside Are #BestieGoals ›
- Becoming Isabella Boylston - Dance Magazine ›
- This Dance & Travel Show is Giving Us Major Wanderlust - Dance ... ›
- Are You Too Obsessed With Dance? - Dance Magazine ›
- Tiler Peck (@tilerpeck) • Instagram photos and videos ›
- Isabella Boylston (@isabellaboylston) • Instagram photos and videos ›
- Cupcakes & Conversation with Lydia Wellington, New York City Ballet ›
- Lydia Wellington ›
- Drew Jacoby - contemporary ballet dancer ›
- Drew Jacoby (@drewjacoby) • Instagram photos and videos ›
- Sara Mearns ›
- Sara Mearns (@saramearns) • Instagram photos and videos ›
- Christopher Wheeldon — People — Royal Opera House ›
- Maria Kowroski ›
- Gillian Murphy (@gillianemurphy) • Instagram photos and videos ›
- How to Get Dancers in Shape After a Vacation ›
I hate asking for money. I am tired of feeling like we, as dance practitioners, are constantly begging for every morsel of sustenance. We are often seen as the poor stepchildren of the arts, usually thought of as having nothing tangible to sell.
I have to admit, I've had a wonderful career. I've danced with The Royal Ballet and The Joffrey Ballet, done a stint on the West End in An American in Paris, played the Snow Cavalier in Disney's The Nutcracker and the Four Realms with Misty Copeland, and will soon be performing as Older Billy in the Australian tour of Billy Elliot: The Musical.
How did I get in this position? Through the eight international ballet competitions I've entered.
If you want to travel the world performing and doing what you love, competitions are your ticket to finding the freedom to dance wherever you want to go.
By the Sunday evening of a long convention weekend, you can expect to be thoroughly exhausted and a little sore. But you shouldn't leave the hotel ballroom actually hurt. Although conventions can be filled with magical opportunities, the potential for injury is higher than usual.
Keep your body safe: Watch out for these four common hazards.