Akram Khan and Florence Welch Choreographed a Music Video Together
Akram Khan and Florence Welch (of Florence + The Machine) is not a pairing we ever would have dreamt up. But now that the music video for "Big God" has dropped, with choreography attributed to Khan and Welch, it seems that we just weren't dreaming big enough.
In the video, Welch leads a group of women standing in an eerily reflective pool of water. They seem untouchable, until they begin shedding their colorful veils, movements morphing to become animalistic and aggressive as the song progresses.
Highly specific, visually arresting, rhythmically clear—"Big God" carries elements of everything we've come to expect from Khan's work. But there's a certain sultry strangeness that Welch brings to the table, her dancing as full-bodied and fearless as her inimitable voice. The result is a jaw-dropping melding of their styles perfectly suited to the cool theatricality of Florence + The Machine's sound.
We just wish we could have been a fly on the wall for Khan and Welch's rehearsals.
- Akram Khan: The Storyteller ›
- This Video Series Has Us Hyped for Akram Khan's Xenos ›
- florence welch on Twitter: "Watch 'Big God' first on @applemusic ... ›
- Akram Khan Company: Home ›
- Florence & The Machine's Video For 'Big God': Watch | Billboard ›
- Florence + The Machine - Big God - YouTube ›
- Florence and the Machine Announce New Album High as Hope ... ›
- florence welch (@flo_tweet) | Twitter ›
- Florence and the Machine ›