These Are the Performances Our Readers Loved the Most This Year
We asked you for nominations, compiled your suggestions and had you vote on your favorites. Here's what you chose:
Best Viral Video
Winner: "Kids Meet a Ballerina," featuring Pacific Northwest Ballet's Elle Macy
• Syncopated Ladies' "Everybody Mad" Beychella cover
• Ballet Nacional de España's performance at Oteyza fashion show
• "Doomed," featuring RubberLegz and James Gregg
Most Moving Performance
DESCENT. Photo by Jay Newman, courtesy Kinetic Light
Winner: Alice Sheppard/Kinetic Light in DESCENT
• Dance Theatre of Harlem and artists from Collage Dance Collective in
Geoffrey Holder's Dougla
• National Ballet of Canada in John Neumeier's Nijinsky
• The Royal Ballet in Liam Scarlett's Swan Lake
Winner: TU Dance and Bon Iver's Come Through
• Menil Collection, Houston Ballet and the Merce Cunningham Trust's Merce Cunningham Dance and Concert, Arrivals and Departures: Cage, Cunningham, and Johns
• Sonya Tayeh and The Bengsons' you'll still call me by name
• The Joffrey Ballet and Lyric Opera of Chicago's Orphée et Eurydice
Best Dance Documentary
Winner: Ballet Now, directed by Steven Cantor
• Gravity Hero, directed by Trey McIntyre
• Bobbi Jene, directed by Elvira Lind
Most Inventive New Work
Winner: Odeon, by Ephrat Asherie Dance
• GAY GUERRILLA/for julius, by MADBOOTS DANCE
• Paramodernities, by Netta Yerushalmy
• Silent Scream, by Olivier Wevers; performed by Whim W'Him
• Keone and Mari Madrid's e-book, Ruth
Afro Flow Yoga is a body-and-soul awakening. Created by dancer-yogini Leslie Salmon-Jones and multi-instrumentalist Jeff Jones, the dance form melds yoga with West African diasporic dance.
The majestic entrance into Sky-Mind Hall, an exquisite 3,000-square foot floor-to-ceiling-windowed studio with breathtaking views of the Playa Guiones along the Pacific Ocean, at Blue Spirit Retreat Center in Nosara, Costa Rica, recently introduced me to the practice.
Preparing pointe shoes is a highly personal process. Each pair requires seemingly contradictory qualities—that they be supportive yet soft, that they be strong yet quiet, that they show off the foot while providing enough structure for balances. So it's no surprise that the quest to get it right is an ongoing experiment.
Three professional ballet dancers shared the secrets of their own prep routines, mistakes and challenges with Dance Magazine.